Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fang's reminiscence on January 14, 2010

Ok so far I have been told off that I have not added or contributed to the blog so I thought I would add a few thoughts to Brennan's efforts of our Nepal trip this far.

So currently I am sitting in Bandipur at probably the only internet cafe in the whole entire town. As you can gather it is not a very big town. I think we walked pretty much all through it in about 30 minutes but it is a very beautiful, quiet and quaint town with many beautiful people. We travelled for a good 2.5 to 3 hrs on a very interesting looking bus where I couldn't get my knees behind the seat in front. There were many many many bumpy parts on our journey from Chitwan to Dumre (town just outside of Bandipur). All we were really missing on this bus were some chickens and some goats. We arrived here at 1pm today at the back of a pick up truck. The interesting thing about this journey was probably the number of people that were on this truck. We are estimating that there were approximately 17 people that were crammed on top, inside and hanging on the outside of this truck. People were getting in and people were getting out. Have a wild guess where I was positioned on this truck.....that's right on the back, standing up, holding on for dear life....one to not die and to make a fool of myself as there were 2 Nepalese women that were laughing at me a good part of the way up to our destination. Standing at the back I really thought how in the hell did I end up here right NOW!

So officially we finished our Base Camp hike on January 8, 2010 where we flew out from Lukla. I would have to say that trekking on that path was probably one of the most difficult things that I have done physically to date. As some of you may have been reading Brennan's daily posts it has been quite the physical challenge that has been faced. Pushing the body to that challenge on a daily basis was very tough and to also combat altitude sickness made things interesting! To sit on your bed at 7am in the morning after your head has throbbed since 12am that night and to pack the entire contents of your bag, provided that it wasn't that much was something that was so hard to muster for our last stop before Base Camp! Nevertheless.....HFUP.......as I have been known to say to motivate myself!

After trekking for 6 hrs to Everest Base Camp after leaving Loubcher, I cannot describe the sense of satisfaction, achievement and calm that I felt when I reached the "destination". It was rocks after rocks that we had to walk over, some big some small but each one a challenge an obstacle that was overcome. To some if you saw the photos of Base Camp it doesn't look like much. Not fancy, not flash, definitely no neon flashing lights saying......Base Camp here! It is bascially surrounded by rocks and is a huge mound of rocks itself with prayer flags and momentos left behind from other trekkers and climbers but to me it was such a sense of accomplishment for 2009. After setting out and committing to this trip since an early early morning back in April. All the hard work, preperations and sweat paid off as soon as your foot touched that "sacred" spot. I don't think I will ever forget after clambering up the rocks, staggering across to the centre of Base Camp and Ashleigh running and hugging me screaming into my ear "we did it, we made it". I don't even think it registered at that time what she was saying. I was just standing there in awe of where I was and trying to breathe. Thinking back on it, all I can do is smile to myself. To many Base Camp is only the beginning, the start of their climb, to something bigger, harder and better, and I do feel that by reaching the location of Everest Base Camp that it was only the beginning but standing there that day I had climbed my Everest for this part of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment